Friday, September 5, 2014

What Would Olivia Pope Read? Chance Assassin #WWOPR | 20 Days to #Scandal

Somewhere between season one and season three, mild-mannered lawyer Lindsay Dwyer morphed into Quinn Perkins - fixer, cleaner, and gladiator.

I watched with morbid curiosity as Huck (Pope and Associates' tech guy) took Quinn under his wing and trained her in the secret arts of technology and espionage. Skills he honed from his former job as a dark CIA special agent. Neither I nor Huck expected Quinn to take to this training with such... um... zeal. He tried to reel her back in when he realized, too late, that she was going dark.




Toward the end of season three, I could see the sparks of attraction between them. Creepy, disturbingly twisted, attraction. Out loud, I didn't want it to happen. I shouted "no" at the television whenever I saw it. I felt like Phoebe (from Friends) when she discovered Chandler and Monica hooking up: "My eyes! My eyes!" But in the back of my head, I kinda sorta wanted it to happen. I secretly looked forward to their scenes together. I cringed as their relationship deteriorated and then sizzled with attraction.

SMH. Okay, I admit it. I. Could. Not. Look. Away.

Huck and Quinn's relationship has gone from kidnapper-kidnappee to mentor-mentee to frenemies-with-benefits. It's been a hellva ride! Who knew a bizarre mix of romance and psychopathy could be so intriguing? This revelation brings me to my next suggestion for Olivia's beach ereader.

For gladiators who are fans of a bad romance, I would add Chance Assassin: A Story of Love, Luck, and Murder (Chance Assassin #1) by Nicole Castle to Olivia's beach ereader. Chance Assassin's book description looks fairly straight forward. 

"Vincent Sullivan is down on his luck. When a chance encounter generates a job prospect he’s too desperate to decline, Vincent is well on his way to a career in crime. But after the job goes wrong and he’s gravely injured in the process, things couldn’t get much worse. Except that he may have just killed a man.

With the entrance of a mysterious stranger, life is finally starting to look up. Unless his luck is about to run out for good."

Gladiators, Don't let the smooth taste fool you. That description hides what lies beneath the book's cover. This book is a handful of "Whoa!" Does this book meet the #HuckleberryQuinn criteria? People with questionable morals? Check. People with violent tendencies? Check. Broken people that you hope can be redeemed?  Check. A bad romance that you can't help but pull for in spite of your better judgment? Check. Don't take my word for it. Check out the reviews on Goodreads and Amazon.

Take a look at a few of Huck and Quinn's disturbingly romantic moments. Emphasis on disturbing.


Check out Scandal: Huck Prepares Quinn for His Torture


From Season 3 Episode 9 | Aired on 12/05/2013 | TV-14: He's never done this with someone in the family before, someone he loves. - Hulu


Check out Scandal: Huck Comes to Put Quinn Down


From Season 3 Episode 14 | Aired on 03/20/2014 | TV-14: Huck comes to kill Quinn, but there's a surprising reason he hesitates. - Hulu




Check out Scandal: Quinn Takes Control With Huck on Hulu.


From Season 3 Episode 15 | Aired on 03/27/2014 | TV-14: Quinn shows Huck exactly how it goes...and things get even more mixed up. - Hulu


Check Out Scandal: Huck Tells Quinn He Wants Her


From Season 3 Episode 17 | Aired on 04/10/2014 | TV-14: Huck chides Quinn when she returns from finishing a job alone. Quinn lets Huck know she’s positive he’s aware she can handle herself, so he needs to say what he really wants. Huck tells Quinn he wants her and pulls her to him. - Hulu




What Would Olivia Pope Read? #WWOPR


#WhereisOlivaPope? According to my math, Olivia Pope and Jake Ballard are on a beach somewhere. They are drinking wine, eating popcorn, making out, and planning their next steps.

Olivia is always so busy on the show. She doesn't get many chances to enjoy a little quiet time. I am recommending that she get in some reading while hanging out at the beach.

I'm counting down the days until Scandal's season premiere by suggesting books for Olivia's beach ereader. They'll be books that a gladiator might enjoy. You know, based on stuff from the show.

Do you watch Scandal? Care to join me? What books would you suggest for Olivia's beach ereader? Check out my #WWOPR posts.




Countdown Clock


No comments:

Post a Comment