Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Once Upon a Read-a-Thon: Better Read Than Dead Apocalypse Mini Challenge


Better Read Than Dead prompted:

You're in a bookstore and you've just purchased 5 books you've been dying to read, when the apocalypse hits. (Zombie, Demons, Vampires, Dean Winchester vs. Sam Winchester (yes, I'm watching Supernatural reruns) I don't care what apocalypse). You've got one chance at survival, what 2 books do you take and what 3 other items do you take?


The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead by Max Brooks




"The Zombie Survival Guide is your key to survival against the hordes of undead who may be stalking you right now. Fully illustrated and exhaustively comprehensive, this book covers everything you need to know, including how to understand zombie physiology and behavior, the most effective defense tactics and weaponry, ways to outfit your home for a long siege, and how to survive and adapt in any territory or terrain."*

<I don't know much about zombies so I am going to need some reference material.>





Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell




"An Amazon Best Book of the Month, March 2013: While Eleanor & Park is technically classified as YA lit and has a cutesy cover, don’t let the stigma of “books for teens” fool or deter you. It is written about teens, sure, but the themes are so universal that anyone who survived high school will relate to the lives of the two protagonists."  --Caley Anderson*
<I feel like everyone has read this book EXCEPT for me!!! I don't want to die with that on my conscious. If I am to meet my end, I want to do it as a member of the CRC - Cool Readers Club.>

MacGyver - The Complete Series




"Like James Bond--but without the high-tech gadgets--Angus MacGyver (Richard Dean Anderson) is one of those rare beings who can avert any crisis without mussing a hair. (The rest of us should be so lucky.) In the pilot alone, the secret agent dismantles a missile using a paper clip and fashions a rocket thruster out of a pistol. Is there anything MacGyver can't do?"*
<Of course not! MacGyver can do anything (what a silly question). I have been watching MacGyver on Hulu. It's 1980s hokey, but MacGyver can avert any crisis using everyday items. I would use this for reference material and inspiration.>


Lifeline 29-Piece Ultralight Survival Kit




29 Piece Kit Includes: Weatherproof Carry Case, Survival Guide, 10' Emergency Cord, Map Compass, Emergency Whistle, Survival Blanket, 3 Safety Pins, 36" Roll Duct Tape, 18"x12" Sheet Aluminum Foil, 8' Snare Wire, Box Waterproof Matches, 4 Fishing Hooks, 4 Fishing Sinker Weights, 50' 10lb Fishing Line, Surgical Blade, Reusable Zipper-Lock Bag, 5 Wound Closure Strips..."*

<I would take this ultralight survival kit so that I could go MacGyver-y right away. I've only got one chance at survival, right?>


SOLARBAK v3 Solar Powered Backpack



"SOLARBAK is a durable, stylish backpack equipped with a solar panel used to charge your mobile devices. The 2 liter water bladder has a hose that reaches your mouth that can be used to hydrate you..."*

<I hope that getting power will not be an issue (see the dystopian television show, Revolution) in this apocalypse. Just in case, I want my backpack to multi-task. This baby will carry my essentials and any crisis-averting everyday items that I collect along the way. But wait, there's more... it can charge mobile devices too. I can use the charging capability to barter for more essentials and crisis-averting everyday items. Take that zombies/demons/vampires/Winchester brothers.>

Apocalypse, schmacalypse. I'll be kicking butt and taking names. Who is with me?

My Once Upon a Read-a-Thon Updates

#OUreadathon

* Descriptions from Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment