Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Wanted: Charles Bingley's White Soup



As for the ball, it is quite a settled thing; and as soon as Nicholls has made white soup enough I shall send round my cards.” – Charles Bingley, Pride and Prejudice

Sometimes, you just gotta love the Internet. I was curious about the white soup that Charles Bingley made for his ball. A quick search brought up a wealth of information. There are some great posts on the subject. Here are the ones that I found most interesting.

The Interesting History of White Soup at austenonly: A marvelous breakdown on white soup including a modern day recipe to try.
Supper at the Netherfield Ball: Pride and Prejudice at Jane Austen's World: This is a wonderful site to visit for an in depth look at Jane Austen, her writings, and the Regency era.
Rengency White Soup from The Jane Austen Centre: This site offers a wealth of Regency recipes (among many other things) that I am going to try soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment