Thursday, October 21, 2010

e-Books and e-Readers are evil. Maybe.

I have been toying with the idea of getting an e-reader. I am usually not the last one to jump on the technology bandwagon. However, there is something about an e-reader that just rubs me the wrong way. I realize that it is not rationale. I don’t have to choose a side. I can use both (if I can get past 10#). Here are my scribbles on the matter.

1. I must have paper in my hands to truly enjoy it.

This is simply not true. I enjoy listening to books on compact disk. In fact, I am listening to Sense and Sensibility on compact disk right now. There are some books that I couldn’t seem to get through on paper, but enjoyed on compact disk – like The Emperor of Ocean Park and Twilight. On the other hand, I like to flip back and forth through a book while I read.

2. E-books make it easier to read books that are out of print.

In searching for the books referenced in 84, Charing Cross, I came across a number of books that are no longer in print, but are available in an e-book version. Amazon.com carries a number of free classics and out-of-copyright, pre-1923 books, as well as limited-time free promotional e-books for the Kindle e-reader.

3. E-books can save me money.

Again, I was surprised at the number of free e-books available at Amazon.com. Not to mention that many of the other ones are reasonably priced. I would think that the same would be available on other sites as well.

4. There is no love.

“I do love secondhand books that open to the page some previous owner read oftenest.” Helene Hanff, 84,Charing Cross Road

Where is the love? People are less likely to share their e-readers than they are a book. An e-book doesn’t open to pages where other people lingered. You can’t write in the margins for other people to see like a traditional book (your own copy only please).

5. e-Readers add to screen burn-out.

I look at computer screens all day. Traditional books give my eyes a break.

6. I can carry more books on vacation.

I like to read while I am on vacation. I also like to pack lightly. An e-book would allow me to bring more books along.

7. E-readers bring vacation drama.

I think that e-readers will bring unwanted attention while on vacation. I doubt someone will jack me for my paperback book. An e-reader is more tempting.

8. Save the trees.

I am sure that trees around the world sighed a big relief when e-readers came out. Do you think that e-readers are a conspiracy on the part of trees? Kind of like the “Eat More Chicken” campaign by the Chik-Fila cows.

9. I am (not) a klutz.

Really, I am not. Small electronics just seem to fall to the floor in my presence. Perhaps they sense royalty? Traditional books are pretty resilient. They might last longer around me.

10. E-readers are expensive.

They cost a lot. There are too many formats. Kindle. Nook. Sony. Which one to purchase?

I am still undecided. Do you have an e-reader? Which one? Why?


See – Okay. Strike #4. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment