Monday, June 3, 2013

Join me for Wonder Woman Wednesdays!

Back in April of this year, I watched Wonder Women! The Untold Story of American Superheroines on PBS during the Independent Lens program. I also participated in a lively Twitter chat with other viewers watching the premiere.

It is now June and I am still thinking about that documentary. I have got to get it out of my head!

So, I am declaring this summer, The Summer of Wonder Woman. [Unofficially, of course.] I am going to dig into all things Wonder Woman. I am talking the television show, books, Wonder Women!'s resource list, cartoons, and other Wonder Woman-related stuff.

I invite you to drop by this blog on Wednesdays to discuss what I am reading and watching. I'll be tweeting using the hashtags #WWWxx and #WonderWoman.




I am starting the summer early because you will only be able to watch the full length documentary through until June 14 on the PBS website (befo to the official start of summer). I'll post the video on Wednesday to kick off things.




Synopsis from WONDER WOMEN! Press Kit:

WONDER WOMEN! THE UNTOLD STORY OF AMERICAN SUPERHEROINES traces the fascinating birth, evolution and legacy of Wonder Woman and introduces audiences to a dynamic group of fictional and real-life superheroines fighting for positive role models for girls, both on screen and off.

From the birth of the 1940s comic book heroine, Wonder Woman, to the blockbusters of today, WONDER WOMEN! looks at how popular representations of powerful women often reflect society’s anxieties about strong and healthy women.

WONDER WOMEN! goes behind the scenes with actors Lynda Carter (Wonder Woman)and Lindsay Wagner (the Bionic Woman), comic writers and artists, and real-life superheroines such as feminist icon Gloria Steinem, riot grrrl Kathleen Hanna, and others, who offer an enlightening and entertaining counterpoint to the male-dominated superhero genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment