Thursday, March 1, 2012

Nobody's Gonna Break My Stride - That includes you, CHIME

Okay. I realize that I have decided to join the 150+ Reading Challenge for 2012 with 2 months already gone. I have some serious ground to cover.

I decided to listen to some audiobooks to help speed things up. Or so I thought. I downloaded a bunch of books from OverDrive - including Chime by Franny Billingsley. I don't really read fantasy books so I was hoping that Chime would be a good introduction. Not so much ...

I cannot remember the last time that I was unable to finish a fiction book. I must confess that Briony, the main character, has me SO CONFUSED. The chanting. The repetition. I keep rewinding the audio, thinking that I must have missed something [nope].  I empathize with the novel's first line:
"I've confessed to everything and I'd liked to be hanged. Now, if you please" - Briony, in Chime by Franny Billingsley     

Me too, Briony. Hang me too. I feel like I am going through some faux acid trip with you.

Yesterday, I really considered giving up on the book. But then ...

REALITY CHECK: YOU HAVE 150 BOOKS TO READ. YOU ARE ALMOST HALF WAY THROUGH CHIME. YOU NEED TO PUT CHIME IN THE READ COLUMN. SUCK IT UP.

I could hear Break My Stride by Matthew Wilder playing in my head. Perhaps reading a hard copy would be easier. "Nobody's gonna break my stride," that includes you, Chime.

No book left behind ...





Check out Matthew Wilder performing Break My Stride on YouTube.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment