Monday, July 4, 2011

Ripped from the Headlines: Mr. and Mrs. Hutchison

I swear, trying to maintain variety in my choices for the 100+ Book Reading Challenge is keeping me on my toes. Some of my reading selections are the products of my Law and Order - Ally McBeal mental mashups. Book ideas are ripped from the headlines. Dun-dun. And I often hear songs when I think of them.  It's crazy, I know.

Case in point: the EOnline.com post announcing the marriage of Doug Hutchison (character actor, The Green Mile, Lost and The X-Files) to Courtney Alexis Stodden ("aspiring" pop star) on May 20, 2011 in Las Vegas. Hutchison is 51 years old and Stodden is 16 years old (she looks way older than that in the photo on E!, doesn't she?).  Dun-dun. A spokeswoman told E! the couple said,
"We're aware that our vast age difference is extremely controversial, but we're very much in love and want to get the message out there that true love can be ageless."
My first thought was, "Vast my azz. That's disgusting." I was less grossed out by the age difference and more grossed out by the fact that she is still a teenager. Eeeeww. She can't vote, drink alcohol, or get into R-rated movies without an adult. Yet, now she is a "sadie sadie married lady."

Then, the song Into the Night by Benny Mardones started playing in my head. "She's just 16 years old, Leave her alone, they said ... Separated by fools who don't know what love is yet."

I just don't understand. I'm trying not to judge their love. Really. Um ... congrats?!? I hope everything works out for the best for them both.



So, what book popped into my head? Why Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov, of course. Sorry Mr. Hutchison. The book just came to mind as I was singing the song. #smh #dontjudgeme

No comments:

Post a Comment