Saturday, January 22, 2011

I am Grigg! [The Jane Austen Book Club]

I am Grigg. Well, okay. Maybe not him exactly. We are more like kindred spirits.

I discovered him while watching the flick, The Jane Austen Book Club. I laughed out loud when Grigg mentioned that he read The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe because it was mentioned in Northanger Abbey. The other book club members gave him a hard time about it. I totally understood. I do the same thing. I read the books (and watch the movies) mentioned in the books I am reading.

I picked up this habit after watching a movie that referenced other movies. I took out my writing pad and scribbled a note to watch all of them. I would have never thought to watch some of the movies on my own. It turned out to be a great move. So I started doing this with other movies. I soon realized that I would watch almost any kind of film. However, my choices in books were pretty limited.

So I decided to attach part of my TBR list to movies. Now I read scribbles that have been adapted into flicks. That’s what this blog is primarily about. Scribbles turned into flicks and their  associated tangents. "Associated" according to my random thoughts.

For example, I watched the flick The Jane Austen Book Club. That prompted me to read the scribble from which it was adapted – also titled The Jane Austen Book Club. The flick’s literary tangents added the following to my TBR list:

Persuasion – Jane Austen
Emma – Jane Austen
Pride and Prejudice – Jane Austen
Northanger Abbey – Jane Austen
Mansfield Park – Jane Austen
Sense and Sensibility – Jane Austen
The Mysteries of Udolpho - Ann Radcliffe
Left Hand of Darkness – Ursula K. Le Guin
The Lathe of Heaven – Ursula K. Le Guin

Here’s to the Grigg in all of us.





P.S.
I am also going to add a scribble to my TBR for each of the sci-fi authors he mentioned. I almost choked when Grigg mentioned Pat O’Brian’s twenty book navy series at the very end of the movie. That’s a lot of books. I am still debating adding the set. Do you think that I should?

No comments:

Post a Comment